Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Monday, November 21, 2016

Chemo #9 11/21 and big updates

Hi!
Sorry I have not been in touch. I've been living normal which means I take my attention away from this cancer stuff and live life! :):) Since my last treatment, my weeks 2 and 3 were really good again! I am truly getting the hang of this!

I had a scan last Monday 11/14 and it was CLEAR!  Still no cancer. :) my next scan should be in February (every 3 months forever).

Chemo treatment #9 was today and it seemed to go well. More tired today, didn't sleep well last night.

Talked to Dr Harper today about what she would do about second opinion. She says she would get a second opinion when it comes back. So for now, continue on.  I concur-No second opinion for now.

I also asked her about next steps in treatment. She says she will likely go to 12 treatments with the chemo. This means only 3 more treatments and my last one would be Jan 23!!! Happy dance! I will still continue the Perjeta and Herceptin intravenously every 3 weeks for a very long time- prob until it doesn't work anymore or new/better meds are out. I thought we were waiting on new meds that I would transition to coming off the chemo- but don't think this is the case for now. The reason to stop chemo is that my body can't take much more than 12 full doses.  If and when new meds come out, I will switch to them when this current regimen doesn't work anymore (maybe that was her point this whole time and I just caught on.). Regardless, I will still be on a really good regimen even without the chemo. Check out Perjeta's website.

Last week, I signed up for a life insurance policy that waived pre existing conditions. That was almost the BEST news I had this past week. That was something I tried to take care of right before I was sick 5 years ago and always missed the agent on phone to sign up. A big load off!

Today, I interviewed to be a volunteer to make my Oncology Unit resource library better for cancer patients. I am excited about this. I complained a lot to myself and people with me, and figured I would just do something about it. :)

I need to digest the info about coming off of chemo. I need to get ready for this switch and know that it's ok. I have to trust Dr Harper completely in this decision. My personality says to deal with whatever it is if it is working. So to come off of something working to something that may not work makes me a little nervous.

Dr Harper told me to be extra careful of being around people with flu or stomach bug. This could put me in the hospital. Please- if you know you are sick, tell me to get away or avoid me please.

God provides in so many ways for me and my family. So thankful on this night. Very suitable for the Thanksgiving weekend. I wish everyone a blessed holiday and a wonderful time with your friends and family. My mom hosted our dinner last night as I will feel terrible on Thursday and Friday. I will stay home. My heart wants to cook like I always do for an army. Oh well. No big deal. I will be feeling good for all of the Christmas season after 12/19. This will be good. :)

Happy Thanksgiving. Again, I am incredibly grateful to God in this season. He is my rock, my everything- without Him, I would be nothing but fearful, doubtful, abandoned, sad, crushed, depressed, hopeless, dying...but with Him, I am fearless, doubtless, loved, peaceful, comforted, courageous, hopeful, living.   Believing in His Almighty Power is an amazing experience not when it's a last resort and nowhere else to go, but always believing in who He is no matter the circumstances.  He changes everything.  Paired with 2 breast cancer episodes, I am truly humbled by His grace.

Happy Thanksgiving.  Find the good in the season and be a light to those you are with. :)

Love, Amanda


2 comments:

  1. Amen Amanda! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm responding on a day when you may be feeling like laying low and I'm sending you love. On this day of Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for modern medical technology and all the ways it supports us all - but especially you right now. I'm grateful for your updates and your progress and your faith. Happy Thanksgiving! Sending cyber hugs and smiles :)

    ReplyDelete