Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

TX 6 done. 6 more to go!

Hi!  I breezed through treatment 6 yesterday.  My Aunt Shirley went with me along with Chris. 
Here is a great story.  I met 3 sisters at treatment.  One receiving chemo treatment for pancreatic cancer.  One had breast cancer 5 years ago and doing well now.  The other one loved my cake.  I actually met them last Monday when I took in a cake platter for the nurses and ended up walking around the waiting room, serving everyone waiting. :)  Many couldn't believe that I was a patient.  Yesterday's story is so wonderful to me, because, my aunt went to the bathroom where the one sister, breast cancer survivor for 5 years, was teared up in the bathroom.  She stops my aunt and says, "I have something for your daughter."  She handed her a bracelet with "all you need is LOVE" enscribed on it.  She wore this bracelet the last 5 years and asked my aunt to give it to ME.  These days, I really don't tear up often about what I am going through, but in this case, it is very touching for me. 

I am blessed to have the schedule that I have.  I work for amazing people who pray for me and support me incredibly.  I am so appreciative of the time I have to digest all that is going on, get through the process and focus on healing. 

If you ask me how I am doing, I will tell you I am doing well.  Friday was a hard day.  I stopped in Kroger parking lot and didn't even get out of the car.  Went home to sit on couch.  On another note, on Sunday night, I took my steriod and cleaned furiously for an hour!  I will also tell you that life is a box of chocolates, you never know which one you are going to get.  I have experienced the several types of chocolates lately.  I don't like them all, but it is my box.  This is my life, it is my choice on how I choose to respond.  I can pick distaste, distrust, disheartening, disinterest, distance.  Or I can pick love, respect, redemption, trust, a soft heart, peace, deliverance.  Today I choose the latter along with dark chocolate that has cancer fighting antioxidants. My next 5 years may bring life, but it doesn't mean that it will be an easy 5 years regardless.  I am thankful for a God who can take those moments for me.  It is my guess the sister feels the same way. 

Thank you.  Love you.  Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your inspiration, Amanda. I rest in your continued blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were sent an angel who gave you a bracelet to remind you that you are loved by many. Unfortunately, unlike a box of chocolates, you can not take a bite and put it back if you do not like it. Its forge on, one foot in front of the other. I know many hold you dear to their hearts and want to offer you support in this long journey. Sounds like you are doing such a great job!!! Love, Connie

    ReplyDelete