Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Nothing More Fun Than Surgery and Shots

Hi, it has been a about a week since I have posted.  The nausea has held off really well.  I am tired more lately.  I am not necessarily sleeping more, except for the occasional nap, but am just tired regardless of time of day. 

Friday was a great day in our house.  Donald Southworth was found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison.  My husband and another detective did the investigation for the past almost two years.  It was a really great day for Lexington Police and Commonwealth Attorney and justice! 

On Friday, I got to go to the doctor because my arm hurt, the inside crease of my right arm.  They sent me into an ultrasound and found that I have a blood clot.  I returned to my chemo nurse station where they informed me that I would be giving myself a shot twice a day, a blood thinner, starting now.

Exhibit A
So, I picked up my premade syringes prescription.  I sat in the parking lot and gave myself a shot.  That was a different and unique experience.  :)  I was worried someone would walk up on me.  It was a shady (not with trees) parking lot (Exhibit A pcitured to left). I called my friend Andrea to be on the phone with me.  She shared my concerns and she is in nursing school. :)  I think anyone deals differently with family and friends in any given situation, nurse or not. 

Needless, or needleness, to say I made it through that.  I have to continue every day 8am, 8pm, 8am, 8pm, etc.  They bruise pretty easy and are sore initially, but otherwise, I am getting through that. 

Another sitatution last week was that I was at Daybreak Community Church speaking about my faith, last Sunday.  This is something I never knew I could or would do years ago.  If we don't say yes and share our stories, who will?  So, I was asked and I did do it.  I talked about hope but it felt like it came out more as trust in God.  With trust, I can do anything.  Each day I can pick to be sad or in fear of the cancer and the unknown, or I can choose to rest in God and that He will take care of what all is entrusted to me, as well as my health.

As for day of surgery, please pray for the doctors to be ready and to have steady hands the day of surgery.  Please pray for peace in my family and that God will provide His healing, courage and strength for us.  Please pray for my husband, my son, my mom and my stepdad, that they will be lifted up in this step of my journey. 
I pray for you reading this. I pray that you know God in intimate ways and can choose to run to Him with all that is yours.  I thank God for you and your love and care.  Thanks for checking in!  AND GO NEW YORK GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!   XOXOX Amanda

4 comments:

  1. Mandy,

    A blood clot? Really? That wasn't in the plan! You are very brave. I don't think I could give myself those shots. Was that a result of the chemo being injected? You do sound like a police officer's wife with your "Exhibit A" evidence.

    I am holding good thoughts for you on Tuesday. In fact all of us here in California are rooting for you. We all love you!

    Love,

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the update, Amanda! Know that you and Chris and Jack and Dottie and Mike are all in my prayers, as well as the surgeons and everyone who supports them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking positive thoughts for you now during your surgery and hoping everything is going as planned. Love, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness!! :) :) :) (All smiles!) Rest up!

    ReplyDelete