Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Amazing...Grace

It's 4 days after surgery (left only mastectomy- the other side will come out later)...Would you believe that I dress myself, bathe myself, put my make up on, ditched the pain meds a couple of days ago, sleep decently well, eat great, and can actually drink coffee again?  Life after surgery is much easier than anticipated, physically, even just 3 weeks out from chemo.  It's a bit challenging, emotionally (I'll explain that in a sec).

On Tuesday, prior to surgery, there were probably 20 people in the waiting room over the course of this, from prayers to laughs to conversation.  I love them so!  I am overwhelmed with it!  Pastors, friends, family, just flat out love!  Warning- I digress here.....Before all of this I have always wanted to be the person to send cards timely, send nice notes, or make a phone call when someone was going through something rough.  My other priorities always got in the way.  I, now, will see to it that I NEVER miss an opportunity to send a timely card, note, text, phone call, or visit with someone who is going through something difficult.  Its not any easier for anyone to endure life's difficult times.  Everyone can use encouragement.  When you think, "I don't want to bother them"---why the heck not?  Bother them with a phone call, some chocolate, flowers on their doorstep!  Absolutely!

So....back to surgery...I was in surgery for about an hour. With prep, recovery, etc., they called my name at about 12:30pm and I was in a room by 3:30pm.  I felt amazingly well, very sleepy.  I went home on Wednesday at about Noon.  Just sat down and rested.  

On Thursday and Friday, I still sat rested.  And today, Saturday, just resting.  BUT, I can do a lot for myself.  I can reach above my head with my left arm.  Amazing!  I don't even need Advil.  I am enjoying my flowers, my cards, the love!  My family came to help clean and as usual, I ask for big chores to be done- like clean out Jack's toys.  :)  Well, they ask if they can help, so I politely accept and let them know what would be great! Haha! :):)  Thank you Shirley, Clyde and Momma. :) 

Day 4 after surgery.  Sat-1/28/12 4:22pm
The biggest thing for me is the emotional journey at this point.  I am not emotional about any one thing in particular and in fact, I am not exactly in tears at all.  When I say emotional, I mean that I am just taking it all in.  My body is going through a lot physically with a lot of changes.  Its a lot to reflect on, so I dont do it often.  I feel like this is the hardest part in the short term of this treatment process.  I am 3 weeks out of chemo, surgery done, and now 2 weeks from my next chemo.  Overall, long term, it will be fine! 

I just have to muddle through this and enjoy the grace and family provided by our Heavenly Father!  I am ENJOYING things in this much more than I am sulking about anything at all.  That is encouraging to me.  I could not do this without my friends, family and the grace of God!

Dear Heavenly Father- I pray for my friends and family to are enduring difficult times in their lives.  May You show them your light, your way, your grace for them!  May they find the words to speak out to their family and friends about it.  May they be blessed with love and support from their loved ones and may they receive it.  I pray that they RISE ABOVE the difficulty and receive a perspective of thanks, a soft heart, blessings, Your purpose.  May they be encouraged and find a place of refuge and protection in You!  Amen!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you again, Amanda, for sharing your insights and your wonderful wit with us in your updates! You are in my prayers every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you felt like commenting on your blog site since the surgery. I checked on you with your blog page last Tuesday thinking the surgery should be soon. I was shocked when I read that was the day of your surgery. As I read about your decisions, I was so happy to see that you have absolutely been surrounded by such caring and terrific physicians, people who care and give you MORE than just the time of day! Wow, there is a great power that is guiding you all the way. Your spirit and reasoning on this journey is very powerful. What do you mean you are lefting up your arm?! I am so happy for you. Thank you so much for your prayer. What a blessing you are to all! Love you, Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete