Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Monday, February 6, 2012

Believe it to be possible!

Hi!  Say it with me...GOOOO GIANTS! :)  What a great Superbowl!  We are pretty excited at our house being Giants fans and all!  I enjoyed good food, good friends, good game.  I appreciate my neighbors very much!  They hosted a superbowl party at their house; while they are Steelers fans, they were happy to do it. :)  Barb and I worked on a little project last week that was good therapy, a fun cakepop display- complete with zipline camera man, Giants offense, Patriots defense, Giants fans, Madonna, Michael Strahan and Terry Bradshaw showed up as commentators, and Tom Brady was on injured medical transport.

On this past Thursday, I met with my surgeon for follow up.  He removed the gauze, took out my staples and removed my drain.  He went over the pathology report.  The mass in the breast had shrunk to less than one inch and the one lymph node removed showed microscopic traces.  My oncologist is "tinkled pink".  This is really great news for me.  So, I will be resuming chemo on Monday, then have last one of this round (Adriamycin- nurses refer to this one as "red devil" & Cytoxen) on 2/27.  Then, my second and final round of chemo (Taxotere) will start for 12 weeks, every week.  Radiation is after that, which I will be meeting with my Radiation Oncologist on February 9th.  I will give you an update of that.  I do still have a small superficial blood clot in my arm which means that I have to remain on a blood thinner.  I have to limit my leafy green intake and watch bleeding- minor bleeds could be hard to stop.

With that said, this week should be a great week for feeling great.  I am 2 weeks out from surgery and I am 1 week away from my next chemo appt on 2/13.  So, I will catch up on stuff and go as fast as I can go.  Physically, I am doing well, extremely mobile and getting around great.  Emotionally, I am doing well. My family is doing well.  My son is provided with normalcy and routines and talks that do well for him.  He doesn't know I have a wig, he knows that I have new hair. :)   I ask what he thinks often and ask him if I should wear a cap or hair.  His favorite is my long hair.  We guide him the best way possible that we know how.  There is no right or wrong.  We do the best we can do for a 4 year old.   

As you may have picked up from this blog, I spoke at a local church on 1/15.  In the weeks following, the pastor was alerted that the cancer he fought 12 years ago may have returned.  So much so, that he drove to Mayo Clinic, ran tests and the surgeon removed several inches of his small intestines.  The day of his surgery, I even posted on his blog for him that they removed a cancerous area but didn't know definite results.  Within days after the surgery, the doctors informed him that it was not cancer and it was not related to his cancer 12 years ago and it was not going to require treatment.  Without a doubt, God worked miracles for Pastor Chuck.  It is amazing what can be done when you believe.

Thank you for your continued prayers and love for me.  Some of you are really close to me through this in your prayers and in your thoughts.  Some of you, I am aware of and some I am not, and some of you I don't even know.  Thank you for fighting the fight with me.  Believing the impossible to be possible!

1 comment:

  1. God bless you! you are a wonderful person and i know that our Gog is an awesome God and all things are possible through him. i will continue to pray for you and your family. your brother in Christ-love brad

    ReplyDelete