Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Friday, January 13, 2012

How did it go? The meeting with the surgeon...

The meeting with the surgeon was good.  "Good" is all relative. :)  OK, let me tell you a little more.  It was good because the surgeon is extra nice, gentle, kind, experienced.  He makes it sound so easy.  He also suggested an option for me that I like a lot.  Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, January 24 at 11am.  We are only removing the left side and lymph nodes with cancer for now.  The right side, unaffected area, will be removed at time of reconstruction, that will be done later months after radiation.  This also reduces risk for infection because it is two surgeries.  He doesn't want to risk infection of the other side and delay chemo treatment.

We could have done surgery now or in another month or so.  The reason for now is because basically, the Oncologist wants to see what is in there.  She has been speculating up to this point and feeling it decrease.  Now she is curious and wants to see what is going on.  When they lay it out on the table is when they can get a real sense of it. 

Three weeks after surgery, chemo- 2 doses of this kind (Adriamyacin and Cytoxen)- will resume on 2/13 and finally on 2/27.  Then, we begin another chemo treatment (Taxotere) for 3 months.  Surgeon said sometimes they can do radiation at the same time as chemo, so MAYBE we could do that with me?!  Bring it on!  That is an exciting possibility.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. :)  Thank you for your prayers and following this journey with me.  You are very busy and I appreciate that you care to stop and check in on me. Makes me happy. :)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the update, Amanda! I have your dates entered in my calendar and know that I will be praying for you! Much love and light until your next update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE AMAZING! And I love you:). Thank you for the updates...keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, Donna was asking about you last night so I filled her in on your Friday post. Both of us are thinking about you daily as well as all the Al Graphics team. Keep plugging away, were still blocking and tackleing for you each day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mandy, Thanks for the update. These informative updates really help me to understand each step you are considering. Its a tough road but you are handling it with amazing grace and courage. I know your determination which is going to take you far on the road to recovery, step by step. You have tons of people praying, following and supporting you each step of the way. Grab onto all that positive energy and run with it!

    ReplyDelete