Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

So, it probably seems a bit mysterious about my symptoms and my well being during chemo.  So, I will try to lay it out there in a top 10 list... please laugh a little, I did!!
  1. Nausea.  I feel like I should throw up at any moment and don't.  Then eat 10 minutes later. Giminey!
  2. Fatigue.  I feel like I need to sleep all the time, but can't because my mind is too busy for that! :)  When I do sleep, I dream that I need to sleep. :)
  3. Mouth.  It's as if I ate nails and spit them out.  And the nails left my mouth rough and metallic. Then eat 10 minutes later.
  4. Throat.  Imagine swallowing the nails and having rough scars that make it difficult to swallow, couple that with dryness.
  5. Bones.  Google Neulasta shot symptoms.  Don't tell me what it says.  I have 10 sheets of paper listing out side effects that I will not read!  I do know I feel like I've been hit by a truck for a few days.
  6. Eyes.  My eye lids stick together sometimes.  It's almost as if I have a tick trying to open them back up.  So they are dry, yet they tear up easy.
  7. Heartburn, loud random hiccups.  Indigestion all the time.
  8. Hair.  None on my head.  Hair on my airms.  What's up with that?
  9. Energy level.  It takes 6 times the energy to do something that I would have normally done.  Annoying.
  10. Dizziness.  No- not cause I still consider myself blonde!  From the 10 (exaggerated) anti nausea meds.  Could you imagine these symptoms without the meds!
Other than that, I am doing well.  I am maintaining my weight.  I can't be out too much due to catching colds, germs, flu, especially during this time of year.  I go to Walmart and wear gloves. :)  I may do this in years to come.  I try to be as normal and consistent with my routine and energy as possible for my son.  I think this really helps him.   So far, so good. 

Thank you for the prayers, good thoughts, love and support.  Love from me to you!  Amanda :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful wit with us - especially in this way! Unless you've been through it, it is very hard to understand what you are experiencing. You have got to be one of the strongest women I know! As always, you and Jack and Chris and the rest of your family are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete