Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

5 Minute Update and Another Good Day

Hi! I am doing really good today.  Yesterday was a good day as well.  Yesterday, I left the house at 7:15am and returned at 5:30pm.  It was a full day and it went pretty good!  I was running at about 80% energy level, but overall good.

With treatment comes changes in levels of energy, levels of fatigue, levels of initiative, levels of pain, levels of general interest, levels of taste.  (I like to try to put words to better define my experience.)  Energy level is the most long lasting side effect for me as time passes between treatments.  All other side effects go away for the most part.  I end up liking my coffee, but I do have aversions to some foods and drinks that never really leave me.  I probably have about 85% taste right now.  Foods just aren't what they usually are.

I decided that on my good days, I would exercise as much as possible.  I am concerned for muscle atrophy that can occur during my bad days.  This is me talking, not my doctor or anyone else.  So, for the last couple of nights when the sun goes down, I have walked the neighborhood.  I am not breaking a sweat or breaking records, but something is better than nothing.  I would love this to be a jog for a couple of miles.  Right now its walking about 1.25 miles. 

Also, I scheduled an outpatient surgery for August 16th to have my ovaries out.  This will permanently get rid of naturally produced estrogen.  Estrogen feeds my cancer- its got to go!  This means I will be in menopause.  I will not be able to take the medication to help with menopause because that is an estrogen provided therapy.  Obviously, I am not a candidate for that.  So in the weeks to come, I will be reading up on this.  It may not be too far from what I am experiencing now in terms of body temperature- really hot or cold.  And my moods, as I have mentioned before are random. LOL.  That may mean business as usual! 

Someone mentioned that I should check out the Doctor Roach Integrative Medicine Center in Midway, KY.  I made an appointment with Dr. Jim Roach on July 26th.  I am continuing my current program with my oncologist and chemotherapy, etc.  I am looking into this for any other advice that could complement my chemo and help my body fight with bigger guns.  What I like most about this place is the nutrition advice.  Well, I like the sounds of it.  If it doesn't include ice cream, cupcakes or fried chicken, I may hate it.  Just sayin'! 

I am continuously comforted in God's peace.  I pray for Jack and Chris to also experience this peace, not forced by what we think is peace, but by only what God can provide.  I am solid in my relationship with God, and He is my number one go-to for healing, peace, comfort.  Thank you for your prayers and your faith.  :)

7 comments:

  1. Well said, sister! You are doing what needs to be done and keeping an open mind about things. Wishing you well. Lots of love, Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you! Couldn't be more proud of how you have taken this journey by the reigns. You are a true fighter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That peace is where it's at! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like reading about your good days. Here's to many more to come...Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like reading about your good days. Here's to many more to come...Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ask the doctor about the estrogen patch. It goes thru skin not your blood . I have been on it for 20 some years, it works wonder for the mood . it is a weekly patch so u only change it once a week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ask the doctor about the estrogen patch. It goes thru skin not your blood . I have been on it for 20 some years, it works wonder for the mood . it is a weekly patch so u only change it once a week

    ReplyDelete