Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Friday, July 29, 2016

Happy Friday!

Hi, I hope this post finds everyone doing well.  I am on the upswing.  Energy is pretty good, eating is good...no rash and no fever this time.  So, week #2 has been better than most so far.  (I do have a little rash at site of injection and around my hands, I am downplaying it until I am told its a problem. That is why I wrote it in parenthesis. :))

So, I know last week I wrote about a "difficult week".  Please understand that I have a good attitude, I am upbeat, I don't have very many emotional episodes as you would think.  Please know that when I post to this blog, I share all of my experiences- the good and the bad.  This is a very serious situation and will continue to be, and I may choose to tell you about the times I stay up til 2am to process.  But I also may tell you about the times that I laugh at myself.  If we are going to do this together, stay with me and swing through it all- the good and not so good.

This week, I did see Dr. Jim Roach with the Integrative Medicine Center.  So, he is basically "Dr. Botanical Treatment" himself, I just made that up.  It was a very interesting experience.  I don't have a final judgement just yet, and I am keeping an open mind.  But when he told me I couldn't eat chicken eggs, I said "the eggs I buy at the grocery?" he said "correct, but you can eat duck eggs."  I said I am not eating duck eggs!  And then I can eat pistachios and walnuts but must take Zinc after I eat them.  There are about a thousand more restrictions and consequences. I am still sifting through it to see what I can do.  Bottom line is that I am naturally just not a botanical kind of person with or without cancer.  I am a realistic kind of person.  I live in a small town with a Walmart for a grocery, 5 Mexican restaurants, 5 pizza places, McDonalds, Lee's Chicken and Dairy Queen.  I MIGHT have a different perspective if I had a whole foods market around the corner and a farmer's market every week.  Regardless, I need to see what will work for me and I am not opposed but it will take work! I will report back.

Also, my family and I made significant steps to embracing the idea to get a second opinion, possibly switching doctors, finding a nicer facility, etc.  If I wake up in the middle of the night, these are the things racing through my mind.  I will report back on this.

I am going to celebrate Jack's birthday on Saturday by taking 5 children to KY Kingdom.  Chris will be there, but this seems ridiculous for me. :) I will be fine, I promise...I will take breaks, stay in the shade and not touch anything, except a funnel cake because I can and I want to! :) LOL!

Not sure who all reads this, but if you do, I love you and I appreciate that you care. :) By now, the newness has worn off and some people don't stay plugged in.  If you are still plugged in, I know you care and thank you from my heart. ;) Hope you are enjoying your summer.  Jack starts school in 10 days, that is crazy!  But I look forward to it for him.  Structure in the middle of all of this is a good thing for him.

Komen Lexington Race, October 1, 2016
Click here to join my team or to donate: Amanda's Army of Angels



7 comments:

  1. We're here for you for the good and the bad of it all! I love you post they are very real! If I could give a piece of advice - listen to the "botanical quack". Even if you change a few things they may improve things for you. You've got to live your life how ever you see fit but I think you're doing a great job! Sending you my love, Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say, Happy Birthday to Jack! Enjoy your day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Jack! Enjoy your day with him and his friends. You make me smile Amanda. I hear your voice as I read your posts. Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Jack! Amanda enjoy the funnel cake, they are definitely a healthy food! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the update! I haven't been able to keep up the last couple weeks as close as I'd like but I'll always check in. Happy every day to all of you and enjoy that funnel cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you Amanda! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you Amanda! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete