Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Monday, November 14, 2011

Highlights of the Beginning

It was on Wednesday 11/2/11 that I participated in a mammogram, ultrasound, biopsies of masses found in my lymph node and breast.  I received official news on that Thursday that I did have Breast Cancer, in the duct, invasive, intermediate grade that was spread to the lymph nodes.  This particular two days was no joke.  Most of you know I love to laugh, let's suffice it to say laughing was difficult.  Regardless, I knew that I could depend on God to see me through this.  He provided unexpected people that showed up in those two days.  JL was at the hospital when I walked out- he immediately place me on his prayer chain.  Helen showed up at the exact time I received the call- she was nudged by Jesus just to go be with me.  Rachel is an oncologist and is a distant cousin- she called me at home at 9pm on a Sunday night answering my questions- she is now treating me.   Roni's first day back working in Lexington was training for her to learn my work to relieve me in the coming weeks.  There are more details, but these are just a few glimpses into how God is providing for me.  I am 35 years old and should not have breast cancer.  I never had a mammogram.  I was sore under my arm, thats it.  That was my nudge and why I went to the doctor. Now, I will be enduring chemo treatment 1x every 3 wks for 4-6 times, then surgery, then radiation, then reconstruction.  There is life in this, these tasks will be temporary and easy in this context.  I bought two new hair do's.  I am shaving my head on Thanksgiving weekend.  My son is excited about my bald head and tea parties.  While this is my five minutes, I will say that I find I look at my watch more often in the last 11 days and I must say the time isn't going as fast as I have expected it to go. Five minutes feels more like fifteen.

6 comments:

  1. Amanda, I am so proud of you!!!! Reading your blog for the first time is causing me to tear up a little, not for sadness but how proud I am of you. It was so great to spend time with you last night!! I love that I am going to be able to help you with things that I have learned over many years, things I never thought would benefit anyone else. I'm praying for your strength and courage. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy - this is John and Karen Butler, your parents' next door neighbors. We are praying for you and all of your family, and know that God will give you the strength and grace to get through this time. Of course, we are convinced that He will also give you complete and perfect healing! We are here for anything you need, and will do all we can to support Mike and Dottie too. We love them dearly. Your blog is so uplifting, we will be following what you write. God bless and protect you dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mandy, I will be following you and rooting for you every step of the way. You have a lot of people, including myself, who love you and are cheering you on and that has got to be a big big comfort to you. Call me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, We will be with you every step of the way. We love you and know you can beat this.
    Just here in Indy so can be there quickly if you need anything. Uncle Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Mandy - I love your blog and your positive, take the bull by the horns attitude. Your Louisiana family is praying for and thinking of you. I've always said if I ever had to be sick I'd want Dottie to take care of me - so you are in excellent hands. Much love to all of you -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, all of the Alabama Graphics gang are pulling and praying for you everyday. I've got to see the Thanksgiving no hair picture! Please know that we have your back, your determination is contagious, keep the faith!! We love you.

    ReplyDelete