Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Sunday, November 27, 2011

"Just The Way You Are" Bruno Mars

After the shock of the news of having breast cancer, to put it simply, is accepting the life in it, and then comes losing hair.  Last night, I pulled on a little lock of hair on my head, as I have done from time to time to see if it was ready to come out, and at about 7pm, I pulled the test and the hair came with it.  So, this was good timing and yes, I am losing my hair, no chance it is staying. 

The shave was a great job by Holly.  My mom, my husband, my neighbor was there.  I played "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor (off of my Fun playlist on my iPod) to kick it off, and it shuffled to "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars.  I didn't plan that.

Now that I have no hair, I can say I always had very pretty hair since I was young.  It has always defined me, who I see visually and who my husband, family and friends see.  However, its not what defines the real me.  Amanda Schoonover is a beautiful woman inside who loves her friends and family so dearly.  She is thankful for each one of you.  She is passionate, trusting, overbearing, concerned, not religious but spiritual.  She is guided and loved by God, first, then by her husband, by her mom, by her stepdad (the latter in no particular order at times).  (Sorry for the third person to those of you who hate that.) Its nice to be so definitive about who I really am.  Thank you for letting me be me.

My favorite verse has always been "Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10).  Which in the beginning of my spiritual journey that was always comforting, because I thought, I can be still, that's easy. :) As my journey moves on with breast cancer in play, it is comforting to know that He is God, and then to engage in a relationship with Jesus and give glory to Him in these moments and take time to clarify what is really important in this life, is an amazing experience.  Sometimes God uses your own experiences to learn these things, but so often up to this point I learned it through others' experiences. I am blessed with the people in my life, and not just with what I have, but with what is to come. 

7 comments:

  1. I think you look beautiful. I have to say that when reading your posts, you sound like the strongest person I know. When Shelbi and I had the accident, I don't remember being strong at all. I am now when she tells me she just wants to walk and talk again, so now I understand how the small things don't matter anymore just the important things. Love you and miss you, but I will always be here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, I agree, you are beautiful! It also looks very cute. I like the way you grabbed the bull by the horn and took charge of your hair. If you were going to lose your hair, you were going to be the one to do the job. Just stay strong and determined as you are,
    do it your way and you will go far. Don't forget to drink lots of water. RWP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy,
    Your comments yesterday on events of the day were truly inspirationally to those of us who are accompanying you on this journey. Your sense of faith shows how well you are grounded as all this unfolds. The photo was beautiful, a claim most of could not make under the circumstances. Love, Aunt Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud to be your friend! You made me look forward to coming into work this morning by all your inspirational words. You're so much better with words. By the way, I love the photo, you look great. Your smile really shines! Toeknee

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is soomething different about you in this pic but I can't quite put my finger on it...OH! I see it now! Its a smile that isn't just surface anymore but has rooted itself deep within. Great pic. Great Strength. Great Inspiration. Great GOD!!! March onward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I have to say I was looking forward to seeing your picture w/out any hair. Now I must admit you are the best looking bald headed woman I have ever seen!! You haven't missed a beat. You are an inspiration to all of us at AG, you rock girl! Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everytime I look at this pic I can't get over how awesome you look!! You look beautiful no matter what you do!!! :-))

    ReplyDelete