Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Saturday, December 3, 2011

You and I don't have time for fluff.

Here is the deal.  SOMEONE was very critical of my blog this weekend and noticed that I had not posted. :)  You know who you are, totally joking. But, let me say this...I do not post unless there is anything worth posting, in my opinion.  This means NO fluff, fill ins, extras.  We are all too busy for that.  I am about practicality, important details as I see them, and caveats when necessary.  With that said, the best paragraph here is the last one, so if you only have a second, skip down to it and come back and read rest later. :)

I am used to having no hair.  My 4 year old son laughs at my baldness, though I have never fully taken off my hat or my hair in front of him.  He laughs, because that is what I told him not to do- thats what we do with 4 year olds.  Shaping his mind around this has been easier than anticipated, so far- emotionally for me and his dad.  Thank you for those prayers!  

While this week has been pretty good, I slept in until 10am this (Sat) morning and skipped out on the Christmas parade.  This is unusual for me.  The fatigue, slight fever and flu like symptoms are more official and present than I realized.  So I think my days now will be rest first, then go.  As opposed to go first, then rest.  Lets be honest, rest has never really been part of my day.

We went to a FOP Christmas party this week and in case you didn't know this about me- I wear a wig when I go out now- Exhibit A to the left.  We have such great friends who are on the police department.  I probably gave 50 too many hugs, ok Dr. H.- maybe just 20?  Love them very much. 

Sooo...In summary this week, in no particular order...I have a pink Christmas tree.  I am feeling flu-like with heavy eyes, slight fever and headaches like crazy.  I have a tshirt on that says "Fight Like a Girl" that I love from my dear family at Lynn 5.  I did a presentation with Mike for UK grad students on Thursday- nobody knew I was wearing a wig and I had the same passion I had before all of this.  :)  I am learning how to rest.   My son is happy and not sad for me.  My husband is very supportive.  My mom is always worried- but we work through it and she provides like a momma for her daughter. :)  My bosses are the best bosses in the entire world. 

God has provided me with friends and family that I could never have gotten on my own.  There are people who care about me because they love first, don't judge, don't ask questions, just love unconditionally and provide care, warm words and prayer for me.  I am trusting God daily in all that I do.  I don't want to take away from the previous two lines, because they are well said, but let me add another way God has provided... I signed up on an AFLAC cancer policy in January 2011.  This policy was available to me for the past 8 years.

3 comments:

  1. Your "slowed down" is most people's hard day at work! Take care of yourself and the wig looks wonderful, you look beautiful! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy, you look beautiful in that photo--prettier than I have ever seen you look! It is a great picture of you and Chris. Hang in there, continue to allow yourself to get lots of rest and don't forget to drink lots of water! Those are orders from Dr. Fung Fung. RWP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy you look very pretty! I love hearing from you, and I am so thankful you have such a great outlook on dealing with all that comes with your treatment. Did you purchase any other colored wigs? my friend who had to get wigs (and was blonde) bought a dark color wig too. It was completely different from her original color and cut. You know how there is always a good story about Connie? Whether she is dragging a parking block across the lot under her car, or going off the curb where there is no exit. One day we were shopping and she had her wig on I lost track of where she was. I was looking all over for her when someone said, isn't that her? Her wig was itching her so she taken it off and

    threw it in her purse. I was looking for a lady with hair not a bald one! I asked her where her wig was, she says oh, it was driving me nuts I had to take it off it's in my purse. I cant wait to see the other wigs on you. The one you have looks really good. Your jack has grown so fast! My jack is now 5'1 and turning 12 in
    January. I am glad to hear of all the love and support you have! Have a restful day!

    ReplyDelete