Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Treatment 3. Done.


Me on 12/21/11 at 12:21 PM
 HUGE NEWS!!!!  The tumor is shrinking bigtime!  Doctor Harper's words: "Remarkable", "You made my day!" What does this mean...first of all, chemo is killing all cancer cells floating around.  Secondly, chemo is shrinking tumor to get a good margin between chest wall and mastectomy.  The survival rate, with this type of response in the beginning, increases!  The doctors want to do everything possible to treat me with chemo, radiation, etc, because I am so young.  It is the later distant disease that is concerning when the breast cancer could show up in lungs, brain, bone, etc.  She did say a couple of weeks ago that I have a 10% chance of cancer returning even after all of this and double mastectomy, because I am not triple negative I am 2 postive out of 3 (ER+, PR+, HER2-)  Now, back up to the huge news...the tumor is shrinking bigtime and this is awesome!!

Yesterday (Monday 12/20), I had my chemo treatment.  We tweaked a few things and it went much better.  The nausea seems to be under control.  I am on 2 anti-nausea pills.  Today, I am moving slowly as to not mess up a good thing.  In just a few hours, I have to get the $6000 follow up shot in my arm to boost my white blood cell count.  The shot doesn't hurt.  It actually makes the bone marrow create more white blood cells, so it does cause my bones to ache periodically especially in my back and sporadically through legs, arms.  But, not worth complaints, really. :) 

So, I have to tell you a couple of stories, that have to do with weight, I experienced recently.  Well, I was getting things done this weekend out and about, and a man asked me to try on a cape as I was close to his wife's size, supposedly.  It was a L/XL.  He says "you are a size 14-16 right?"  Then the sales associate in on this says, "size 12-14".  I was like WHAT are you talking about people!!?  For the record, I am none of those sizes!!  Then she calls me a good sport.  Well, of course I'm going to help out a man buying for his wife.  I am not going to tell him no.  Geesh.  Story number 2... the other day, I ran into someone who I didn't know and he heard through my announcement at recent meeting that I had breast cancer.  He approached me and said that his Mom had it and he was telling me an encouraging story.  Then he says, "She lost weight and was to the size she was in 8th grade.  So I have that to look forward to." (Hey W- if you are reading this, this story was precious and I loved it.)  OK, if I get to size in 8th grade, that will be extremely interesting.  BUT, lets suffice it to say, I have an appetite.  I haven't lost weight at this point.  But I am still not over a size 12- maybe close admittedly, but not there! :)

Thanks again for stopping by and keeping up with me.  I wish so much for a great Holiday Season for you and your family!  Whatever it is stressing you, let it go!  :)  It will all be okay!  Be sure to enjoy these special times, make new and lasting memories, and celebrate the hope that was born for us all.  Lots of love to you! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mandy, Sorry, I haven't posted in a while. I am at Melanie's and so much going on that I haven't had a chance to catch up with you. I am happy (very happy) for your good news. I bet you are glad you went ahead and did the 20th instead of postponing. I hope you continue down that path and get rid of the nasty stuff! Are you still doing good and no nausea? That would be great for Christmas. I have a little package on the way for you. Hope it reaches you by Christmas and yes, it is pink inside. You have a wonderful Christmas and I hope to hear all about it. Love and kisses, Connie

    ReplyDelete