Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Friday, December 16, 2011

A True Story about Hope

TRUE STORY THAT IS A GIFT FOR YOU AND ME…
On this past Wednesday (12/14), my friend and I finally had lunch.  She gave me a bracelet that has a message of “HOPE” inscribed on it.  She wore this same bracelet during a trying time in her life.  It was very sweet of her to pass this to me.  Now, there is more.  She lost her dad on February 15 and had last talked to him 10 months from the day we met.  On this Wednesday, she had forgotten her phone at home and when she got home that night, she had a missed call at 10:18 A.M. from her “Dad’s Cell”.  She called the number back and a woman answered.  She said, “Linda?” and the woman said, “No, this is Hope.” True story.

The cell phone was in a drawer in a bedroom and it was disconnected in February so the number was redistributed.  What are the chances that someone with his number would call her phone? And, that her name was HOPE!!!!!! 

Let me tell you about HOPE and another significance of the date February 15.  On this day in 2009, I made a decision to accept Jesus into my heart and lead my life.  Now, I know this is polarizing to some, but let me explain to you.  Prior to that, I didn’t have hope, not like this.  I didn’t understand the power of God (never will fully understand) and what it means to trust Him.  I was in control of my life. I worked hard.  I went to church some throughout my life, but wasn’t raised in church, never served in a church and didn’t know any bible verses.  I created what was important in our family with what I thought was God first, but when did I make God important?  Bad times? Absolutely yes.  It was kind of like, “God if you do this, then I will do this in return for your favor.”  Good times?  Not really, because they were good but I was thankful.  Christmas?  Check. Easter? Check.    

I began to attend Quest Community Church based in Lexington, KY.  After about a year, they opened the doors in December 2008 in Frankfort, KY, only 10 minutes from my house.  I knew there had to be more here.  So, I started attending a little more regularly.  I would cry and didn’t know why exactly.  It was there that I heard the message that as broken as I am, I can be rescued. God provides forgiveness, so that I can be whole again no matter my past looks like.  He wants a relationship with me, and if I run to Him, I will make it!

Then and now, I am far from perfect.  I am a forgiven and dearly loved daughter of our most high God.  I am honored to be the feet and hands of Jesus and spread the good news of HOPE.  In this face of cancer, I have no idea where I would be without trusting Him in my life.  He is the foundation of all that I do, good, bad, indifferent.  I run to Him with all that is entrusted to me.

Providential moments are provided by God where we don’t have to struggle to know, is that is really Him?  He knows that I am incredibly thankful for these moments.  Sometimes He is loud and clear, and sometimes He may be not as forward with His message or sign, but it is with our belief that we know that He is always here, listening and providing!   It was not a lady who answered that phone on Wednesday night, it was an Angel.  Unbelievable.  Take that one into the Christmas season. 

Romans 15:13.  I didn’t know this verse from memory, but I wrote in my bible that it was in the Christmas message from last year at this time, but check it out, it says, “I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him.  Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.”

1 comment: