Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

First Treatment Done.

It's 6:38pm on Tuesday 6/7/16. The long dreaded first chemo treatment is over. It was definitely not as bad as I made it out to be in my mind.

Got there at 8:30am. Left at about 2:45pm. Had a room with a bed. Next time should be a little shorter. Got the needle in arm.. Perjeta first, then Herceptin, then premeds, then Taxotere.

Four years ago, there were two powerful drugs prior to getting Taxotere so I probably had a lot of residual effects from those. Now as far as chemo goes, the Taxotere is essentially by itself.  The other two drugs (Perjeta and Herceptin) are given intravenously but are in a different family of treatment- technically not chemo.  We are going to do this cocktail every 3 weeks for 3 rounds before we assess how it is working.  This is all a process, not necessarily 1 or 6 and done.

This is Stage 4 cancer. We are attempting to prevent growth of these cells and starve them to kill them. I believe this treatment plan will do that. From how I understand this process, once the current cancer is killed and I have the all clear, we will drop the Taxotere and I will continue on Perjeta and Herceptin (one or both) forever, every 3 weeks. With this, we will attempt to further starve any cells and prevent growth. It's sort of like what we have attempted to do with the Tamoxifen pill to block estrogen to the cancer for past 4 years.

...more tomorrow on how I am feeling and doing.

God is with us. Thank you for your love and prayers.





7 comments:

  1. Dear Amanda, I just saw your posts and am sending you and your family much love. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great! Thanks for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy, please know that your LA. family loves you and is thinking of and praying for you daily. You are strong and so is your support group. Please hug Chris and Jack and Dottie and Mike for me. We love you all SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, all of us at ALGX has you in our thoughts & prayers. I was saddened by your post yesterday but I know you can knock this out, stay strong! We are behind you!!!
    John Davis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you, Amanda -- for your strength and your courage.

    ReplyDelete