Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Monday, June 20, 2016

Today- It gets real.

Hi,
You will be happy to know that I went to Chicago again this past weekend and had a great weekend!  I feel pretty close to 100%.  The side effects have let up quite a bit this week.  The only ones that are present are that taste is a little off, my nose layers are stripped so its pretty bloody most of the time, only a touch of muscle pain from time to time, other issues where I have to stay close to a restroom, and the big one right now...my hair is officially coming out.  Its not falling out of my head yet, but if I tug on 10 strands, those 10 strands come out. 

So, I decided that today I must be a big girl.  I am going to shave my head.  I am mad about it.  Mainly because a wig can be weird and uncomfortable.  So, I am going to try to find some cool ways to do scarves and such this time.  And it screams "she is sick".  I know I am sick but I don't want my body screaming it at people.  I want to live normal.  Again, this is the fight in my head.

I made an appointment with my hair person, Tiny, at 6:30pm at his shop. This will be difficult for both of us.  The first time I went to him is when my hair just started growing back in October 2012 and he highlighted it for me.  His mom passed away from breast cancer.  We often talk about his mom, laugh, joke, talk about how my hair has grown back so healthy.  We have been good for each other.  But today will be much different. 

Last time, Barb, my Mom, Holly and I played "Eye of the Tiger" while shaving my head in my kitchen.  I may be playing it all day today in the car. 

I just ate a Sprinkles cupcake, lemon.  That makes me happy. :) The fruit ones are much better than the others, I think.

So, today it gets real. 



2 comments:

  1. Time for "Terminator Amanda"! ;)
    It'll take more than this to take the smile off your face. Sending good wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete