Wait...I have five more minutes!


"Welcome to Amanda's five minutes. Thanks for spending this time with me as we go through a series of treatments and surgeries to kick the butt of Breast Cancer...why 5 minutes? I always need five more minutes to clarify a conversation, to make my point, to drive to an appointment, to grocery shop. I live in that 5 minutes close call on being almost too late but almost always on time! Now, every next five minutes is the survival of my life. This is about a transformation of priorities, a journey of God meeting me in the middle, laughing as I go, and learning how to relax and get well. I just got a knock at the door, guess what my response was...Five more minutes!"

Monday, June 6, 2016

Round 2, Day 1- Amanda's Army of Angels Vs Cancer

OK, here we go...Day 1 (technically Day 7, I got the news on Tues 5/31) (absolutely surreal that I am writing this to you)

Quick story on how I got here...

In March 2016 (4 years and 4 mos after 1st diagnosis), I was coughing and then started experiencing shortness of breath and some wheezing.  I was up to running 6 miles a day and just like that, I couldn't do it anymore. I saw a Nurse Practitioner who gave me steroids, antibiotics, inhaler and none of it worked.  End of April, I called my oncologist, Dr. Rachel Harper with Lexington Clinic in Lexington, KY and she ordered a chest X-ray, Pulmonary function test- they were normal.  She ordered a CT scan to see if there was a clot from the Tamoxifen.  That's where she found enlarged lymph nodes that were causing the problem.  I got a PET scan a few days later to see if there was uptake anywhere else in my body from top to bottom.  The clusters of lymph nodes around my chest and lungs were the only "hot spots".  So, I got a biopsy shortly where the pathology showed that my cancer was, in fact, back in these areas. 

Doctor says its "very treatable".  This is good.  In the morning 6/7/16, I am starting a chemotherapy cocktail that will be intravenously injected Perjeta, Herceptin, and Taxotere.  I had the Taxotere in my last treatment.  I will lose my hair and have other stupid side effects, like nausea, losing fingernails eventually, etc.  I currently do not know how long we will be at this.  Right now, I will get this treatment every 3 weeks. 

Family are doing well (I think). We are all feeling a range of emotions at any given time.  I am overwhelmed, sad, happy, frustrated as heck, anxious, freaked out, impatient, encouraged...and more all at the same time, all the time.  I am sure Chris and Jack are especially feeling this same way.  We are doing a good job at keeping fear at bay and living our normal life.  As I have mentioned to some, our mode of operation is "normal".  I say that now, but I reserve the right to change that slightly after tomorrow's treatment.

Your love and prayers are appreciated. It is surreal that we are on this journey again.  If I haven't talked to you much, its because I can get very emotional.  I would tell you not to worry, but like Jack told me, "You are my mom, I am going to worry."  I think I am close to many of you out there who are going to worry.  I love you for it, but be encouraged.





4 comments:

  1. file:///Users/ErinRogers/Desktop/perjeta-patient-brochure.pdf

    Copy and paste into your browser- let me know if it doesn't work. This talks about your treatment regimen. Your treatment regimen selected is a very good one. Both Herceptin and Perjeta have a low amount of side effects- its the Taxotere that doesn't play so nice in the sandbox but if you have had it before- you know the drill. Take ALL of your nausea and pre-medications and bring out the box of fun scarves sometime in the next few months:) Ask if there is a pharmacist in your infusion center at some point- If so, I'm sure they will have lots of good tips. You have a big cheering section that will be following along with your journey. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Mia and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I woke up this morning thinking about your big day!! It is time to kick some butt!! I'm sure you might need a little help with stuff so please dont be afraid to ask. We'll be here praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete